Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
velma929

I almost moved in with this guy because he was telling me he needed my financial help for his mortgage, yet he kept walking out of the two rehabs I took him to. ..I told him I no longer had control over his life...you can better yourself and the alcoholic if you care and do right by both of you.

I suspect everyone here at some point thought they could love someone enough to make the alcoholism go away. None of us would be here if that was true. You never had any control over your qualifier's life, and none of us ever did either.

No one else in his family was doing anything, let alone his so-called friends... It pains me to see so many people on here being angry at the person and not the disease.

Your aren't necessarily more moral or more caring than his friends and family.or members here. You may be less weary.

If you understand the backstory of how those in addiction reach that point, it is often based on trauma...It is a disease and ends up not becoming a choice when you reach a certain point.

I think anyone who's been on this forum for a few months is aware of this.

AS far as holding people to obligations having nothing to do with love, that part is absolutely true. I think all people have an obligation to treat others civilly.I don't think of addiction as a "get out of jail free" card for failing to do that.