Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Funki

That is correct regarding the meetings for life and a number of AA teachings. However, in How it Works it says that those who won't accept the simple program of AA are "constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves," implying that the only people who could disagree with it or not follow it are not being honest with themselves. Teachings such as "if you leave you will be dry or relapse" and "AA is the only way" are common place across all four states I have attended AA, and two major online platforms for AA I use not including this one, both with tens of thousands of members across the world. This shows that most groups do have beliefs and dogma beyond the big book. Also, it has been shown that other AA literature does enforce the idea that its the only way. Although AA says "take what works for you and leave the rest," and "the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking," many groups and members WILL treat you poorly if you do just that and/or disagree with some portion and many people experience the cold shoulder and assertions they will relapse, if and when they stop attending meetings. We have to address AA as it actually is in practice, not just what the book says. We need to start being honest that this is the dynamic in many AA communities. To a certain degree, it's gaslighting or "no true AA group" fallacy when people deny it's happening.
Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
The twelve steps are common sense and nowhere in the Big Book does it say you must attend meetings for life, nor does it mention sponsors. In fact Awuh who is an AA historian, will know more about this than me, and I hope will enlighten you.

The end of the original BB was to spread these 'principles' to everyone, not just alcoholics, then it was edited. It's basically the tenets of Christianity, morphed with other sound spiritual principles, plus William James' spiritual experience beliefs. BillW was a very well read person.

If AA suits you, keep attending. If not, continue practicing its principles and expand into other areas in addition.