View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hodd

Career change - terrifying

Tongue in cheek title, but I’ve been doing the same job for years. I don’t particularly like it nor am I that good, but it pays well, and I’m used to it. However, it’s not what I want to do forever, and I do have the option to retrain to do something else, so I’m about to become a teacher.

It’s scary stuff. My uni days were over 20 years ago. I can’t remember a thing. I’m doing a knowledge course, though, and it’s coming back slowly.

What’s this self-promoting waffle got to with sobriety you ask?

1. If I was a drinker, I wouldn’t have the time to even consider such a change.
2. Last time I had such a change of routine was when I stopped drinking, and that worked very well.

So if I can overcome an alcohol problem, anything is possible. The amount of things I’ve been able to do since kicking the booze (17 months ago) are countless.

I’m no better than anyone else on here. It’s just that I was fortunate to have the opportunity to quit although I made that opportunity work.

There are opportunities out there, folks, but whilst drinking, you’ll always be wondering what you could’ve done. I had to stop drinking and go through weeks of restlessness and anxiety. It gets easier, though, and after that the possibilities are endless.