Thread: The surrender
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
davaidavai

I think the Oxford Group was pretty much Christian, and Bill Wilson was into seances and stuff. God doesn't have much to do with religion though, I think. AA to me is like a religion created by an American salesman. I can take some comfort in it, the vernacular. The sort of puritan atmosphere, the sad alcoholic excesses of born prudes. Like my mother's line. There's something clean and intelligible about it and possibly bone deep having been bred into this place with its anxieties and separations. An AA room makes more sense to me than a beautiful chapel, in Napels. It's strange to me though how it's viewed as something completely other when it has so many similar traits.

Well, contrary to my sponsor's dire and perhaps wishful warning over two months ago, I have haven't felt any powerful urges. Some minor ones. It was like I removed the mask away from the cunning, baffling and powerful 'allergy' story and I just found an addiction and a life impacted by that and other events in a way that cannot be tidily surmised in an exciting before and after story. I guess I didn't do it right. Too bad! But even as my surrender has been inadequate, I still do like the rooms and sort of miss it. Not the people really, in an individual sense. But the atmosphere. Maybe the religion. I don't know.