View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Early recovery is horrible, every little thing seems like it's disaster-ville. Read around these forums, both the alcoholism/Newcomers side and the Friends and Family of alcoholics side.

He is on edge emotionally, physically, spiritually. In every way his body and mind is telling him to Run or Attack. (Fight or Flight.)

I have to say that if someone's conversation style was like yours in (my) early recovery, I would have been pretty confrontational too. It feels intrusive to ME and I'm not your husband.

Please find some help for yourself. Leave him to his own recovery, it's not your business.

If you can't back off a little this is going to continue in the same way. I'm not taking his side, for sure you deserve better treatment, but he is teetering: surely you can see that? It takes many months to feel normal after quitting drugs and alcohol. That's if he has actually really quit. I don't know if part of his personality has always been difficult, I suspect this is not completely off-character for him. You have lived with him for 27 years, so only you would know. I can understand if you are at the end of your rope. Often when recovery starts (for both) it's because everything is broken...for both.

As dandylion often says over in the Friends and Family side on this site, couples would be a lot better off living apart for the first year of sobriety/recovery. It is a very hard time for both of you and you personally need your own therapy/recovery process. I hope you'll start looking for that. Alanon is a 12 Step group for the family of addicts/alcoholics. It's free and you would be welcomed with open arms. Take a look online for meetings.