Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IvanMike
NA Member - Atheist

The reading goes “...we are people with the disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover.” The literature as a whole makes it clear that this means mind and mood altering substances. Likewise, it talks about times when you have to take these substances and what to do in order to use them as directed and responsibly.
The point being that getting loaded is getting loaded. We tend to be great at substitution, and it’s easy to justify that our problem was drug X so it’s ok to use drug Y. In the beginning I was resistant to that idea but it didn’t take much to be honest with myself about why I was taking any drug. And I mean those drugs that would cause me to escape from myself and life. Antidepressants just didn’t have the same kick as painkillers and benzos. Drugs are controlled for a reason. It doesn’t matter what your stances on whether they should be legal or not controlled, they get that label because they get you loaded. I certainly know which ones to look for. Sure, you will get some know it alls who think that applies to everything, just like you will get some people to justify that it’s OK for them to use one particular drug because they never had a problem with it they just have to use it every day. You find stupid people everywhere. It’s OK to ignore them.
Once you stop getting loaded, then you can start working on why you got loaded in the first place.

Last edited by IvanMike; 05-12-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Crazy “ asci? characters came up