View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Funki

Re: Please please help! Relapsed.

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Thanks for responding.

I asked what you were doing because whatever it was, it doesn't seem to be working. Good intentions won't keep you sober. Shame won't keep you sober.

I don't like to suggest specific methods or programs, like AA. But when someone come here as desperate for help as you appeared to be, I have to wonder, why not AA? Why not do whatever it takes to get and remain sober? Be it AA, Smart Recovery, Celebrate Recovery, Rational Recovery, out-patient treatment, in-patient rehab...WHAT EVER IT TAKES.
Agreed, if the will power and other measures aren't working to get past that first 2-4 weeks, it can be advisable to take more measures, whether that's in patient/outpatient rehab, heavy support group such as AA or SMART, etc.

Ultimately, I think one really really needs to want to quit though. I had to go through 10 cycles at least like described where I couldn't get past 1-4 weeks, depending on the attempt, and have a lot of negative consequences, to get the will to take more serious action and get through the temptation/withdrawals.

This last time, there were multiple times during the first 3-4 weeks where it was intense enough that I thought about if I didn't really want this I would have relapsed.