Old 04-20-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
luvflowers

New here...and the short version hopefully..but am i being naive?

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading on this site and forum for days. I am so impressed with the contributors and their brutally honest insights that I have read.

So with that said, I will share my story.

I have just become aware within the last few weeks that my son is an alcoholic. Two times (that I know of in the last year) had been taken to the ER because his wife said he was unresponsive. His daily drinking, I think has significantly increased within the last 3 weeks. I knew he drank and sometimes drank a lot but had no idea. He lives in a different town so I am not in touch 24/7. He is a doctor and early 30's. He has a wife that also has issues, herself which could contribute to some early marriage struggles. There is also a baby on the way. He is not dependent on me, in the least. But at this time due to the virus pandemic, he was the new kid on the block at work and has been furloughed with much debt he has accumulated, choices he and wife have made. He also in the past has had depression, which has run in both my family and his dad's.

As of this weekend, he took himself to the ER for epigastric pain for which he was admitted with several diagnoses for which I will venture to say are due to his chronic drinking.

So this is VERY abbreviated version of the whole picture.

So with this hospital admission, he has been without alcohol and under the doctor's care for his acute physical issues. I am hoping that he has been told by his doctor and also his awareness of his situation that he has problems and has admitted to such. He has verbalized to me he has a long road ahead of him and he will do what he has to do to get his physical and mental self in a better place. Baby steps.

Needless to say, I have spent hours and hours and hours of reading on alcoholism and what that whole life entails, from both survivors and the non-survivors' stories from individuals' own and family stories. I know I can not fix this, it's not my fault....I have sought out and currently waiting on an Al-Anon meeting place (at some point ) to become involved.. I am also a baby nurse and have had experience with baby moms addiction issues. I also had a daughter who had lots of issues in early adolescence and early adulthood, with drinking and mental health. She has turned herself around

So here is my most likely non-answerable question. Has anyone had experience with this situation to where the individual (my son) has faced the issue and admits he has a problem and has said that he will take the necessary steps to become one that no longer drinks after the FIRST eye-opening experience? He has been told he has liver and pancreas issues. Am I seriously being too naive? I just want to know maybe that there is a possibility that that scenario exits? I do know its not the norm.

Again, I do not mean to dwell on this. This does not fix the situation. I just want to know if there is hope. In all my readings, I have yet to read a survivor story that after the first really bad taste of reality that that survivor quit and stayed sober without relapse. Maybe I have not read enough of those stories yet.

I hope this all has made some sense and appreciate any insight at all.

Thank you ahead of time and be safe in these crazy times