Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
@zoso77 -- It's easier said than done I love him and I deserve the proper closure not to just be abruptly dumped after 3 years with no conversation of there being anything wrong. It's cruel and down right cowardly, but doesn't change the fact that I still am madly in love with him did yours ever try to come back again/ contact you after leaving you??
Nope. She dumped me via text message and sent me a picture of her and the new guy. While I was at work, no less. She also confessed to cheating on me multiple times. As soon as I stopped enabling her to be helpless and as soon as I started treating her like an adult, she was gone.

Did it sting? Sure, but it stung in the way a betrayal feels. I didn't want her back. I didn't want anything to do with her. Mainly, I wanted to take a chemical shower. The thought of being intimate with her really grossed me out. Pictures deleted, phone number blocked, email blocked, contact information deleted. I was done, and the deal I cut with myself was in the short term, this was going to hurt a bit. And that was fine. I just went through my days as best I could until gradually I felt better.

She did, from time to time, try to text me for a couple of years after the fact. But I never responded, and I finally changed my number. I decided I was done, and that was that.

Since that day in January 2012, I've completed my MS in electrical engineering, have been promoted at work 3 times, and married a truly wonderful woman. So I guess my question to you is: if I can find happiness and fulfillment in the wake of a breakup with an addict, then why can't you?

By the way, closure as you define it is overrated, and what you owe to yourself far surpasses what you may believe he owes you. We owe it to ourselves to live our best lives. We owe it to ourselves to learn from bad experiences. No one ever said life was fair, or that we never should be hurt by another person. That's a painful lesson to learn. But it's a critical lesson.

Take care of you.