View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Found

Question "Promises" question

What is the complement of "not shutting the door on the past"? I used to be in what I might call an "ideological relationship addiction". That sort of thing attracts people who are liable to become addicts to that sort of thing!

Because I was showing signs of bowing out gracefully, some of them flipped (they weren't in a healthy state of mind but that's their inventory ). Therefore to save myself continual circular (and on their part acrimonious) discussions with people that didn't contribute anything constructive to my life and to whom I couldn't contribute anything constructive, I make an abrupt break. I also found I had to break some oaths, unilaterally.

Without their constructive affirmation & reinforcement of my incipient healthy behaviours, this was a difficult time. I should add that I had put the bottles down some years previously.

Not shutting the door seems simple: I certainly don't owe them money and it's quite likely they have eventually twigged I don't owe them anything. (Strangely it is a scene not many people walk out of.)

What is the complement to that - it's obviously not actually shutting the door.

I walked out of it. Perhaps it has walked out of me, as well, at last.

SR has made me think of when I was a youngster and kept joining similar things, even then. In my teens I would say some nasty things to really decent friends because they hadn't joined up when I did. I have suddenly realised (almost 50 years on) this must have been a big grief to them as well.

There were some weird goings-on in the 1970s, for young people to get mixed up in.