Thread: The surrender
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Found View Post
one man (a good man) occasionally says one can think "too much" whereas I benefit from thinking more, and more widely.
Many of these well know sayings are repeated with the best intentions by good people. I don't doubt the sincerity of "one man (a good man)." But the accuracy of that statement is worth clarifying first and then debating. Obsessive Compulsives may indeed think too much, except the nature of what they do is not thinking, but just repeating things over and over. When it goes on for more than two minutes, it's simply spinning wheels. It's time consuming and takes an inordinate amount of energy. But I don't call this thinking. Much of the same can be said of worrying, or clinging to resentments with thoughts of revenge.

I know my own recovery involved a lot of problem solving requiring thought, self appraisal, making of mental to do lists, and setting goals. None of this was perfect in execution. I considered blind alleys, and caught myself wandering off in pointless directions from time to time.