Thread: Mikoss' Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
August252015

not many celluloid illustrations of AA are accurate or complete.

You often get the old men in a church basement stereotype, or see a round table of people nodding heads and one kinda sharing, or people being put on the spot to share. Someone getting a chip maybe. It is tough to relay the depth of the program in any show. I'd suggest episodes of the West Wing that feature Leo McGarry's character when he shows what it is like living in recovery, or the movie Flight which illustrates both the lack of control us alcoholics/addicts have and the web of denial, lies, self- and other-abuse and also bad fates that can come of our disease. You'll hear that our disease, untreated, will take us to the gates of "insanity, institutions or death" and that is the tragic truth for more people than is a sober life.

When A Man Loves a Woman, the movie with Andy Garcia and Meg Ryan, illustrates very well the complexity of a family with an alcoholic mother and non-alcoholic father.

As I'm writing this, I am also thinking about how these type of things, or comments from folks on SR or IRL or in a meeting can add up to an eventual quit for some of us. We're the lucky ones and can look back on those who were indeed right about a lot of stuff.

But we have to be willing to face this truth and then act on what it means.