Thread: The surrender
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Cosima11

I was unaware that the steps of AA were very heavily influenced by the Oxford Group, which was a fundamentalist group made up exclusively of white Christian men of a certain economic class. The six steps used for religious conversion were "complete deflation, belief/dependence on HP, moral inventory, confession, restitution, help others in need".

I have to say I feel much better knowing this about AA, as it confirms my suspicions of it's origins and core beliefs of its founders, and makes me feel less crazy for assuming so. I am completely accepting of other people in recovery being overtly religious, I'm just not completely accepting of being fed the line that the program was or is designed to be spiritually accessible to anyone.

Personally, in my recovery I have sometimes found it useful to anthropomorphize alcohol (as the AV) which as it turns out can "shape shift" into other forms of addiction and obsession. "It" lost its power over me not because I was victorious in a battle against it, but because I learned how to disengage (which can and does include other spiritual perspectives) and operate from a place of neutrality. Surrender isn't necessarily a relevant term as my end goal in that metaphor is to achieve/maintain autonomy rather than anything relating to submission or domination.