Thread: The surrender
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

This is from Bill's story: "No words can tell of the loneliness and despair I found in that bitter morass of self-pity. Quicksand stretched around me in all directions. I had met my match. I had been overwhelmed. Alcohol was my master. "

Has alcohol got you beat yet? or is there a lingering thought that one day you will master it? - "The delusion that we are like other people or presently maybe, has to be smashed"

Do you have enough power to beat it on your own? Many people do. Many alcoholics struggle with the idea that self reliance has not worked. It's quite a blow to the ego.

Alcohol beat me into submission. I had tried many things. Nothing worked. The AA solution was presented to me, the only untried option. I threw myself whole-heartedly into the program as if my life depended on it. That was my surrender. Through it I acquired the power to live sober in this world.

I had no reservations because there was nothing else. If you have reservations, maybe you know of something else that might work. By all means give it a try.