Thread: AVRT meetings
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fusion

Apparently meetings were intended to teach the application of AVRT for a few months, then people were supposed to stop attending, having learnt to practice their 'internal locus of control' AV recognition and dismissal.

I understand the meetings were abandoned, because people began to believe that they were sober 'because' of meeting attendance, i.e. 'external locus of control', which was not the founder's intention.

Personally, I believe a few months meeting system is an excellent idea, to provide a detailed grounding in the technique.

That said, I've never read a better description of the Addictive Voice, than this posted on SR by Derringer, who attends AA meetings:

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
I was listening to a YouTube video this morning and it wasn't about drinking but it talked about how moments of temptation, of any kind, come to us fully wrapped in justifications and other deceptions like everyone else is doing it, it's only one little, who will know, it's okay it won't harm you or anyone else, I won't give in next time but just this once and on and on it goes.

BUT

If we do succumb, that little voice that whispers so seductively then completely flips on us.

I can't believe you did that, why can't you just be like other people, what is wrong with you, everyone will know, you're a horrible person.

So I guess, be careful about listening to voice A if you want to avoid voice B.
Voice A and B are Addictive voice.