View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BeckoningCat
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I actually avoided AA because the idea of going into a meeting with strange people and calling myself an alcoholic made me feel weird, though I know it helps some people and I am not passing judgement on their experience, in fact I'm glad it helps them.

But I immediately noticed the difference with SMART from going to just one on-line meeting. I had gone to NA or AA meetings a long time ago with loved ones (not for myself ironically, the last time was easily 7-8 years ago) and never had a problem with anything there, I just knew I'd be joining this group and I could never make myself go in for myself in recent times.

But yeah, SMART seems so much more structured, like a supportive class instead of a church service or activist group. My bachelors is a science degree so I like being given methods and tools. I also like the thing where people aren't demonized for not being ready for abstinence, and the difference being clarified between a lapse and a relapse is helpful.

I am not opposed to spiritual beliefs or religion. I actually like Taoist philosophy, and prayer. On the other hand, it's organized religion that starts to make me nervous. I like to go to Mass on Christmas Eve or when I'm feeling it, but would going to AA be like attending church every day?

I can see benefits of both but intuitively I am feeling right now like SMART would help me more as an individual. I'm not ruling anything out though. I do remember going with a friend to an AA meeting that was a yoga class and that was actually awesome. I think they only have that in the city, though. Lol.