Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
August252015

Absolutely what Dee said, and an "escape plan" can mean a lot of things. Broadening my mind to think of what doing the best thing to keep me sober meant in any given situation was key to me protecting my fledgling sobriety.

If y'all have been around awhile you've heard me talk about how conservative I was at first. And for awhile. The first time I hear "No is a full sentence." my mind was blown. I could actually say NO to anything? Anyone? Any situation? Yes. And if it took me further from a drink v closer to, then no it was.

I chose who I spent time with and when I started getting back in touch with friends who were living their own best lives, in recovery or not, nothing we did revolved around alcohol; restaurants were fine but we didn't go to my old haunts. Why would I? There's a ton of other options.

I also had a wing man, or a habit of knowing exactly how I would get to and from something- and by slow to re-engage, besides work, I didn't go on my first out of town trip (with my now husband who is also sober) til 9 mo, first party til 14, wedding till 19....I took it very much to heart that the BB teaches us that sober, we can go anywhere, but sometimes we need to pause and think about whether we need to.

Freedom of choice muscles and those things Dee mentioned are priceless gifts of sobriety. I have a way better social life, certainly one based in real connection. And if others have a problem w my attendance or not, that's on them.

I can work a crowd with the best of em - but I do it only when it's worth the energy and reward factor. Along my journey, I even put boundariers and learned what was going to be setting myself up for success in terms of fam time

I could make this even longer, but y'all get the point. I hope.