View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I started reading this thread, even though it seemed to have ended, and then I found Part 1 and zoomed through that. I think I may order the book just to learn more. I probably have enough books on addiction to warrant a shelf of their own, and at one time I said, "Enough is enough, already," but for as long as addiction has been a problem, it seems to me that we really don't know that much. Solutions to addiction tend to be philosophical in nature, and this one probably has some of that as well. Because of that, I think it behooves us to keep searching.

I read a few excerpts from the book, and a whole lot resonated with me. I also objected at times. Well, at least to the implication that moderation can be a solution, but I don't want reopen that debate. No program is 100% right, and not many are 100% wrong, but we can find useful guidelines in most of them. This one sounds mostly right, at least for me, and I don't think I'm that unique that parts of this book won't resonate with others.

Our common goal should be to get better. If we do that, we succeed. Paths may differ. We can find one, or we can hop over to another where we can travel faster for a while, and then to yet another. Success is the goal, NOT THE PATH.

I find this discussion inspiring, and I'm sorry I wasn't around SR long enough to be able to participate in it when it was active. But I've yet to read the whole book. God! Not another book. Oh well, I've got room for one more book, and then I can have a book sale or something.