Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 03:05 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
AAPJ

Khmu - Thanks for the reply. My experience in both using and recovery is different than yours but certainly contains common elements. In my AA circle of recovery I certainly see what might be called recovery a-holes but most folks are pleasant and pretty good to be around. I am sorry your experience was so much more negative.

I hope you are able to stay sober and happy going forward. A thought for your consideration. For some AA enthusiasts there is only one path to recovery - AA and the 12 steps. All other recovery methods are vastly inferior and will lead to failure. They usually will not say this directly but it radiates from their overall behavior. So want to get even so to speak? Then stay sober and happy. Nothing makes them more uncomfortable than someone who succeeds in recovery w/o their sacred program.

I am not saying this to in any way discredit the AA program. Personally, I like it and it helps me a lot. I also think that the AA only extremists are not practicing what I consider to be the right way of the program. To me it's a program of attraction.

I am happy for anyone who finds recovery no matter what path they choose. But in the end most paths to recovery require a fair amount work and change. There's no free lunch.