Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
JdA23

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Khmu - Thanks for the 12 point post. Kind of a bizarro world take on the 12 steps I suppose. My experience with AA has been different from what you described. OTOH some of your points are quite valid. IMO the AA program is far from perfect but it has helped me. I think the AA program works best as a program of attraction and since you are not attracted to AA it is clearly not for you. But talking about AA's positives and negatives here is unlikely to change the AA program. It is what it is. For me a more interesting topic is what does work for folks who recover w/o AA. Can you tell us what keeps you sober? Thanks!
The last AA meeting I went to, which was my home group. I asked a similar question. Mine was "outside of meetings, forums etc...what keeps you sober. as if one day AA didn't exist, what would you do?" That was the first time I felt I started thinking that AA wasn't for me. I was almost laughed at for asking such a thing. I was asking because for me, i did not want to become dependent on AA for my sobriety. I needed to find my own path. My sponsor, who is a great guy, could never talk to me without mentioning the BB. I think I just wanted to feel normal again, have open discussions about navigating a sober world without be reminded of something that Im choosing to not be. So, I decided to start living a life without meetings, stepwork, sponsoring others and started focusing on my own self, to be responsible for my own self and not have the fear of rooms , my sponsor, fellow AA's bearing down on me waiting for me to mess up. Ive been sober since Oct 18. tomorrow would've been my 1 year anniversary in AA. Im still sober today because it's a choice I make to not drink. Not because of a program or fear of disappointment. The best part is, I feel like I can breathe and feel carefree with my own free will, not God's will. But I can also say that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for AA, and for that I am grateful for. I just needed to follow my heart.