Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

I prefer to think of a recovery toolbox. There are aspects of different methods including AA in my toolbox.
I always felt AA was a roadmap for those who previously did not have one or significantly lost their way.
I no longer identify as an alcoholic. Previously, yes, I used to drink, now I no longer drink. I am a teetotaler, non drinker, however you want to categorize it. I don't categorize myself, it is unnecessary for my sobriety.
So what is in my toolbox, some AA stuff, I agree with the steps. I even did them on my own. I like the concept of how to solve resentments, by looking inward. I have a lot of cognitive therapy in there, chats with my therapist when I feel wobbly, spiritual, sure, I have always attended and been involved in church. Volunteer work, I have always done that, so spiritual and service, those were already part of my life.
Life has changed a lot since I stopped drinking, I as a person have grown tremendously. I am grateful and appreciate the gift of sobriety. I use sober recovery here and there, I lack the time, because life has gone on, to read a whole lot anymore. I usually check in every so often, skim read titles. If I am interested I read, if not, I move on. I believe myself free from the chains of alcoholic addiction, I am free of nicotine and sugar. Drugs were always take or leave, gambling, I might scratch one of dh's Christmas gift scratch ticket packs, otherwise, no interest. It is possible to heal and recover.
I have a big party in a few weeks, the alcohol will be flowing, I know it won't bother me. If it is like last Saturday dh will have 2 drinks and be unable to drive. (We do very low carb, changes the speed you metabolize alcohol) The caterer is one I love, the band, well I have wanted to hear them for years, (my best friend's brother), and the cake is from a well reviewed bakery and I am having a slice! There are always sober folks to hang with. I can and do enjoy an active social life. Without alcohol, or the thought of it being no more than, the bathroom is to the left of the bar.