Thread: Lent
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
BackandScared

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
You know what? That's an honest post which I identify with. I had a very good and detailed recovery plan. It meant dick all when I relapsed. Plenty of people get sober while having f*** all in the way of plans, they just had to or needed to, or wanted to get sober. In general, in my experience when I was 10 months sober, it's a good thing to have a plan, but ultimately it is down to not picking up and taking it day at a time. I speak only for myself, but personally I just enjoy drinking too much to stop for the time being. I'm not trying to trigger anyone with that comment, it's just my reality at present. But I think that you are on the ball with your implication that there is no miracle plan for any of us that have this affliction/addiction/bad habit/disease/spiritual disease.
I feel really sorry you are struggling and rationalising your drinking as enjoyable. I am pretty convinced nobody gets to find this forum, and much less become an active participant, by 'enjoying' alcohol.

I used to have many doubts about 'the plan' until I slowly realised the truth that was in front of my nose to see: people like me (then) or you (now) shouting that plans do not work, are those who keep on drinking.

I agree that it is difficult to define and concrete examples are perhaps better. Here is my plan:

1. For the first two months I was following a specific programme for recovery daily, just to keep a routine. I started with 'the 30 days alcohol experiment' and then read every day several entries of several blogs (my favourite being mummywas a secret drinker). I also read about 10 different books on recovery.
2. I read here everyday and for a while I was active on my 'July 2019' thread.
3. I exercise at least 3 times a day
4. I write in my diary at least once a week (it was daily until I reach 3 months). I also read at least 10 pages of a book on CBT techniques (2 books so far).
5. Every night I think of 3 things I am grateful about
6. I have been totally honest with everybody around me, especially my husband about not drinking.

It has worked for me. Others may find better ways/add much more/much less. But a very important part of my new routines are linked to my sobriety.