Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by JdA23 View Post
Although in my own self, I admit to myself that I have alcoholic tendencies and in the past alcohol has played a part in some
terrible decisions I've made. But I do not announce or tell anyone that I am alcoholic anymore. I was listening to a podcast yesterday about
developing templates in which to live by. I can't allow myself to live by someone else's template, I have to build my own template to how the world "I" live in revolves around me and "My" template needs to suit this world. If someone needs to declare that they are alcoholic to keep them sober, then by all means.
Our road to sobriety has to be our own and if that works for one person, great! For me, not so much. I have a independent mind, a diy attitude, but sometimes I just need a little guidance.(thank you AA for the guidance!)
Although, this identity stuff makes me feel claustrophobic and isolated. Honestly, I'm completely comfortable being "someone who just doesn't drink" compared to "I'm alcoholic
so therefore i don't drink". "For me" that sets a constant reminder that I'm broken in some way, failure is lurking just beyond my periphery and I have to be cautious
everywhere I go, around family, friends, coworkers. It's very tiresome to feel like I'm walking on thin ice and every decision I make is
calculated around alcohol. Those thoughts and feelings are what I needed to remove from my mindset if I was to ever feel recovered. For my own recovery, I can't
keep telling myself Im an alcoholic because the the word, the term, this liquid that has caused harm in my life is still controlling my life. (Not that I've ever been on parole but I imagine AA is sort like being
on parole). I apologize if I've offended anyone and the road they are traveling, that is not my intention. I just prefer my recovery to be an open book of suggestion, thinking outside the box and self reliant.

I don't think you've offended anyone here.

To thine own self be true.

If what you're doing works... then work it.