Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
biminiblue

It's always interesting to see how people jump on ONE thing that someone says who has left or is questioning AA.

I don't think it's necessary to publicly proclaim, "I am an alcoholic." I knew it when I walked into my first meeting, but it is a common sticking point for a lot of people and it was one of the things that pushed me away from AA. Those of you questioning him, why does it matter to YOU if he self-identifies as an alcoholic or not?? If you want to say it, by all means, do so.

"We have recovered." That's what it says in the book, yet at meetings I was told in no uncertain terms by several people that I had to introduce myself before I spoke as, "I'm bim, I'm an alcoholic." I mentioned that that made me uncomfortable. No where in the Big Book does it say you have to say that at a meeting, yet I found out I did in fact have to say that or get jumped on.

Again in this thread that belief is being voiced.

I think if you're a drinker in an AA meeting that pretty much speaks for itself. If ya'll backed off a little on these rigid Rules that aren't even real rules, more people might like the fellowship.

"Alcoholic," still carries a stigma. It still brings up shame for people. I don't see why that has to be part of any speaking that is done.