Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by JdA23 View Post

my recovery outside AA has been great, for me, so far. I’ve found myself more relaxed and more focused in my life. More productive at work. I think I really became focused on the labor of AA. getting to meetings, talking to my sponsor, working the steps because being told if I don’t I will drink again. In turn I wasn’t paying much attention to import things to me, being with my partner, being with my dogs, focused on our house we only bought 2 years ago. I been diving into meditation a lot. It helps me clear my head, calm me down when I really need an attitude adjustment. But practicing meditation allows me the time and space I need to realign myself to a sober life. I do miss some of my AA friends and I do keep in touch with my sponsor, but on a friend level. I think it helps to not have to identify as an alcoholic anymore. It always felt self defeating to me. The last thing I want to do is remind myself of something I’m trying to rid myself of. Sort a like telling everybody I have the flu when I’ve been healthy for the past year. Or I’m a basketball player but I haven’t played in years. These are just thoughts but it is all part of my process. Always remember, my recovery is my own and not anyone else’s. As I said before though, I am grateful for the tools AA provided to help me understand myself better.

Interesting.

Are you referring to not having to self-identify in an AA meeting anymore?

Or do you no longer consider yourself an alcoholic?