View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I live in a small town. There is a 12 Step meeting of some kind here daily, all at the same location, all mostly the same folks attending, with court-ordered attendees coming and going. I'm not going to criticize 12 Step programs, but I will say I felt a strong need for an alternative in town, and since it wasn't happening, I did the 30 hour certification course and started a weekly meeting. The response has been slow, but we're growing, and I don't believe we are "competing" with AA or NA because most of those who attend SMART were not attending any other meetings, they had rejected the 12 Steps, or they attend both SMART and 12 Step meetings. Folks who come to the SMART meetings have expressed much gratitude, including:

"I like that you are trained and we meet at [the behavioral health center]. I feel safer here."

"The focus on skills is why I come."

"I don't like being told what to do, but I like learning ways to stay sober and improve my life."

"It helps that we don't label ourselves or others. I know I can never use again, but I don't want to think of myself as damaged goods."

"Thank you for not judging me for taking suboxone."

"My probation officer suggested this meeting. I'm glad I came. It's helpful."

"I didn't have good experiences with sponsors. I'm not a follower, and that was only a problem because I was treated like a fool for having my own opinions. I have to find my own way."

"I like that SMART says there's no shame in relapsing. Last time I relapsed I learned a lot and I know not what to do now. I'm not starting over. I'm moving on."
Smart Recovery makes good sense.
SMART Recovery highlights a 4-Point program that helps a participant in the process of recovery. The 4-Point program covers a lot of the same ground that is covered in the 12 steps and helps the participant through the application of scientific principles:
1.Building motivation and maintaining it over time
2.Coping with urges
3.Managing thoughts and feelings through problem-solving
4.Learning how to live a balanced life

SMART Recovery teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance as being the long-term keys to sustainable sobriety. The philosophical and psychological framework of SMART Recovery encourages participants to discover and map out their path to recovery. As a result, the “locus of control” of each participant is shifted to an internal position within the individual. The goal is to help participants shape their destiny. SMART Recovery firmly believes that healing from addictive behaviors works best through the empowerment of the individual; they need to develop the will to heal themselves through techniques such as motivational interviewing.

"No man is free until they have mastered themselves." Epictetus