Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
JdA23

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I don't really follow any of that post. But to each his own.

Checking back in on Jd...and what we (anyone) are finding to be useful outside of AA, given this is a secular forum...
my recovery outside AA has been great, for me, so far. I’ve found myself more relaxed and more focused in my life. More productive at work. I think I really became focused on the labor of AA. getting to meetings, talking to my sponsor, working the steps because being told if I don’t I will drink again. In turn I wasn’t paying much attention to import things to me, being with my partner, being with my dogs, focused on our house we only bought 2 years ago. I been diving into meditation a lot. It helps me clear my head, calm me down when I really need an attitude adjustment. But practicing meditation allows me the time and space I need to realign myself to a sober life. I do miss some of my AA friends and I do keep in touch with my sponsor, but on a friend level. I think it helps to not have to identify as an alcoholic anymore. It always felt self defeating to me. The last thing I want to do is remind myself of something I’m trying to rid myself of. Sort a like telling everybody I have the flu when I’ve been healthy for the past year. Or I’m a basketball player but I haven’t played in years. These are just thoughts but it is all part of my process. Always remember, my recovery is my own and not anyone else’s. As I said before though, I am grateful for the tools AA provided to help me understand myself better.