Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
AAPJ

Hi SOHC,

My input is that the AA program is far from perfect. But I do not use AAs lack of perfection to reject the program entirely. I got the missing part of the message from a Catholic priest's sermon at the same church where we have our AA meetings. His sermon focused on the value of giving forgiveness. It's the other side of step nine and IMO the BB falls short on this. But look at the early alcoholics who founded AA. In most cases they were the problem and their families were the folks who suffered. These early AAers needed to receive forgiveness not give it.

Let's say that for you given your personal situation you just can't see AA working for you. I can certainly accept that AA may not be the right recovery program for everyone. Then what will you do?
To me there is a fork in the road for you. You can: 1) try working the AA program despite it's limitations; 2) Find an alternative recovery program; or 3) Give up on finding a program of recovery because AA did not work for you. Two of these alternatives seem like reasonable roads to take.

I wish you the best in your recovery.