Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
August252015

"I am grateful for the tools AA gave me" - to me this is a priceless take away and one reason I often say that everyone alive could benefit from knowing what's up with AA.

And to your experience re singleness of purposes etc. Yeah, over almost 4yrs I've noticed and heard variations on this "problem" folks see, or indeed hear in mtgs when stuff like drugs are really the main topic not alcohol.Some groups I've seen end up having to have a group conscience and clarify verbally in intros that it is about alcohol. (or the combo, if you're primarily there to share about being an alcoholic).

The court ordered thing...in this vein I just chalk it up to common ways our laws etc deal with criminal offenses now. Prob different in the 30s, 50s, even 80s when seatbelt laws weren't really enforced And... maybe people like me who had to go after a DUI eventually WANT to come and actually get sober. I *might* have just flitted in for a signature once upon a time...

We've also got a lot more folks around like you -seeking additional and alternate support and methods and learning, but also coming into the rooms to both share and listen, so it does have plusses and minuses to maintaining that singular purpose.

Also, we're all a little bit nutty in my book, so you never know who might say what. I say that with complete fondness of being one for being one of the nuts.