Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
August252015

Good post, Ken, thanks.

I too see many old timers who are rough. I tend to see that they might not view recovery as I do, as much more about emotional sobriety . Old school AA sounds pretty rough and hardcore basic to me. But whatever works- one sober alcoholic is never too many, no matter what they are like.

And, yeah, I haven't seen literally money given but I have heard that sentiment voiced. It can sound pretty rough but frankly? It makes a very valid point. Keep drinking, see what happens, we don't think it'll be great, and you can always come back here if you are still alive. Harsh? Well, not in my case by the end.

And the cafeteria thing "bugs" me (too). I believe anyone can benefit from learning the program, but contempt w/o investigation drives me batty, and misses the point of the principals pretty much completely.

"Take what you want and leave the rest" is, for me, meant to apply to the spirit of the "law." Not the letter ie the steps. Do those. Then live by what resonates most, on any given day even. Proceed with your life.