Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
One huge thing about the BB is that it is a book of principles, and it is ALL based on suggestion. One guy went to another guy, in a bit they had right around 100 mem and thus codified the book etc. Their experience was that nothing logical or scientific could cure them.

The BB does talk about being "recovered." This is a nuance, v "recovery" and I believe in both the spiritual component and a disease model.

The basic idea is that ESH - experience, strength and hope- is what guides us - Sr and other options are all about that, too. So ultimately, one thing is needed: willingness. To seek whatever help works.

As for the controlled drinking or keep drinking- one thing the BB does clarify is the diff b/t heavy drinkers and ("real") alcoholics. Experience being that even incredibly heavy drinkers may not be alcoholics, and could (some do) stop when they want.

I think most of this goes to the question we often pose here - "what's alcohol doing for us?" My answer was simple - killing me. So I decided - that part is the choice- to find a solution.

That's true.

Unfortunately, one can expect push back if not outright hostility from some in the rooms if one decides to take a cafeteria approach to AA.

To be totally frank I'm really taken aback that any AA member, particularly one with 28 years sobriety, would suggest controlled drinking to another member.

I've seen a member tossed a five dollar bill on the table. Then tell another member to leave have a drink on him. Told him to return when he was ready to get serious.

However, let me be clear such behavior in my experience is rare.

Sadly it's not that unusual to find old-timers in AA who for whatever the reason.... aren't happy.

But boy can they quote the BB!