View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
fishkiller

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Patience.

Most job & career type opportunities develop as a result of people you meet along the way.

Try to get your foot in the door in or around the type of business you think you'd like to do for some time. Don't be picky necessarily about what you start out doing.

Once you are in... show up everyday and take just a little bit of initiative. That alone will separate you from most around you and opportunities will open up....

Stay away from the water cooler gossip and cliques. Do your job, make the company and your boss/ owner money and opportunities will open up.

Mentally, be realistic, but at the same time don't put limits on yourself on what you think you can accomplish.

I started my career literally working in a ditch. 20 years later - just last year - I published a few educational bulletins for national organizations in my industry. I came from nothing.

If people ask me how I did it I tell them- show up, make your boss's job easier, make your company money, and be the best at what you do. It continues to surprise me to this day how simple it is. Serously, even if it's sweeping floors... be the best damn floor sweep there is. Beyond the career & job stuff there's a ton of personal dignity to be had work regardless of what you do.

Good luck.

-B

Once you get in the door this is exactly what you do.

I started as unskilled labor myself. When I retired last year I was in charge of asset inventory and life cycle replacement planning as well as overseeing trade specific quality control on multi million dollar construction jobs.

You can do it