View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
BackandScared

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Thanks all. Back at home, safe and sound.

I was thinking as I was driving back home, maybe it’s not the dog that is the comfort but everything in this new situation I’m in (my new city, my new apartment, my new dog, etc.) I associate all these things with my new life. But, when I go back up to where I used to live (around my sister and mom) the drinking associations are just so big there bc that’s where I used to drink so much. Like if someone who used to hang out in bars then went back to a bar. I’m thinking about while I’ve made 258 days and it’s gotten progressively easier, I also had a bumpy time around the holidays at my sister’s and now this MLK weekend at my mom’s. And the other day I’d been feeling shakey after I got in an argument with my sister about bringing the dog up for this weekend. All of my bumpy moments have involved either my sister or my mom. This is NOT to say this is their fault (it’s definitely, definitely not...it’s no one’s fault, it’s just a fact). This is just to say i think I definitely associate being at their homes with drinking and I also associate dealing with things like family drama with drinking. Not because of their drinking but bc that is where I was often when I was drinking too much (and they’d been long asleep) and that is how I used to deal with conflict.

I’d hate for any newcomer to read this and think “It is still this hard at 258 days?!?!” To those people I’d say: it’s gotten MUCH easier. But that doesn’t mean that the first year can’t be a bit like a roller coaster and some surprise ironing out of issues won’t be necessary. I like to believe these bumps each will make me a stronger sober person, though. Yet another part of the mountain climbed. And thank you to all who lent a helping hand this weekend. Really, thank you.
This makes a lot of sense. My experience is that alcohol free life becomes easier for many reasons. One of them is that we make new sober memories. We know we can have a good/bad/boring/exciting/etc. time sober. The first few days we must rely on the adrenaline created by the determination and will-power associated to the decision to quit. We must have hope on a better future. It is a massive act of faith.
For many, faith must be there all along. In addition, we can also rely on lived experiences and memories. The 'first time' of everything are always extra difficult. The same happens with alcohol: first birthday sober, first Christmas, first reunion with your old drinking buddies, etc.
Next time you visit your mother you will know you can do it because you have already done it. You have created the foundations for a new set of memories even within your old environment.
It is a massive step. I hope you are enjoying it.