View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Devious0ne

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
“I’m on 40 days, today,” I said to my stepmom (clearly hungover) this morning.
“40 Days of what?” she asked.
“40 days clean,” I said. “No alcohol.”
“So what,” she grumped and sniffed.
“Go look at yourself in a mirror,” I wanted to say. “Your face looks like a lump of yellow dough and your eyes like two faded beads drowning in blood… Last night you passed out on the couch again at seven and I had to feed your pets - again… That’s ‘So What’…”
That’s what I wanted to say, but kept my peace instead and took my dogs for a walk.
Day 40: Feeling good and happy in my own skin.
Congrats on 40 days, I just got to my two weeks yesterday!

Her response clearly shows that she's unhappy, and that she dislikes hearing about your success in finding sobriety. I know that in recent months I found myself jealous of "normal" people, whose who weren't a prisoner of alcohol. You could say jealous. I didn't dislike anyone because of it, I just wished I could be normal - whatever normal is.

I'm glad you walked away from the situation, I'm sure deep down she probably is unhappy with herself and she hates to hear about other people's success of becoming sober. And from my own personal experience, arguing with someone who is hungover is truly pointless. Their head is clouded, they're groggy and tired, don't feel great and agitate easily and you can't reason with them when they're in that state. I know I was this way when I found myself hungover, and found myself just wishing that the person would just shut up and go away.