SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - New to site, day 5
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
biminiblue

Couple of things...

Early sobriety is very emotional, for many reasons. Guilt, shame, fear, disgust, anger, sadness are all very real. After three decades of numbing all emotions, they suddenly are Right There. It's not just emotions though - it's a physical, biological readjustment of the nervous system from suppressed to that rebound over-excitement, over-stimulated, overly sensitive to all input.

I remember saying, "I just want to crawl out of my own skin," in those first couple weeks.

It takes a lot longer than you will like to feel somewhat normal.

Hang on, make it through those first uncomfortable weeks and it will start to level out and the life you will find is so worth it.

I would wait to get the whole extended family and friends involved. Give yourself a couple months to get your feet back under you.

Hang on. Keep talking to us and I hope you'll read around the site. Really glad you found us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
HeadEast (01-16-2020), least (01-16-2020), Lucinda2 (01-17-2020), Sober45 (01-16-2020)