View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Step 1 for me was the foundation that I was to build my recovery on, therefore it had to be rock solid and earthquake proof.

Step 1, I read it a lot, and read the doctors opinion a lot, and read chap. 1 in the BB of AA a lot.

I did this until like Phinneas said, there was not one shred of "doubt" left. I believe to this day to the very core of my being that I AM POWERLESS OVER ALCOHOL AND DRUGS, and that when I use one or the other or both my life BECOMES TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY UNMANAGEABLE.

It took me probably almost the the whole first year before I was ready to move on to step 2, that I finally accepted Step 1 totally.

This is not a race, the steps are the most important thing in my humble opinion and thus I had to spend just as much time as needed on each one to "get it" to my own satisfaction.

I do believe your "friend" may be in error here, none of the steps will lead to a drink. Not doing one of the steps will!!!!!!

So go slow, read the step over and over, read the doctor's opinion and read chapter 1 of the Big Book of AA as many times as you need to for it to sink in and for you to ACCEPT that step.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),