View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
abraxas69

Long Business Trip Planning

Hi everyone. 13 days sober. I have quit drinking and relapsed several times over the past 4 or so years, looking to make 2020 the year I break that cycle!

It's very early days, but it's been going pretty well so far. But the next few weeks are going to be quite a challenge, and hoping to get some tips and advice specific to the situation I'm about to find myself in.

I am a contractor, and my current contract entails me travelling around the country (UK) - leaving home on a Sunday evening, staying in a hotel for the week, before returning home again on the Friday evening. Then off to a different location again on the Sunday.

I have been doing this particular contract since last September, there's been a break of 4 weeks over Christmas, back to it next week. Contract finishes end of March.

It's a job that manages to be not very exciting, but quite stressful at the same time! Last year, my routine was: get back to the hotel around 6pm, immediately have a couple of large whiskies, go out for dinner (with wine, of course), and then return to the hotel with a bottle of wine purchased on the way back.

Obviously need a plan moving forward!

Time here on SR is going to be an essential part of that.

But after that I'm a bit lost! I have plans to read, watch a few movies, and hopefully get caught up in a good binge-watching session (I'm quite looking forward to watching Breaking Bad again, primarily because I don't remember a lot of it!).

But I'm not sure I can do that 20-25 hours a week, for 8-9 weeks. Maybe I can, but I feel I need a Plan B, or something more concrete if that makes sense.

Boredom is a major trigger for me, so this is hardly ideal at the best of times, never mind within the first 90 days! But those bills aren't going to pay themselves unfortunately...

Thanks