View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
Awww Tetrax, its horrible I know. A woman in AA who came in the same time as me (22 months ago) and who has become a good friend has relapsed about 4/5 times now. Luckily she has made it back every time. We are completely powerless over other people and their actions. Keep doing what you are doing and when and if she is ready to come back then you can offer your support.

It does serve as a stark reminder to me that I am not immune to this illness. I have to keep doing what I am doing on a daily basis so I don't have to pick up that drink one day at a time.

🙏❤🙏
Yep, this is my experience. And it is tough every time. Y'all always hear me say I don't believe we get unlimited chances. It's a miracle every time someone DOES get back.

Most people don't get sober and stay that way permanently. IMO there's no way to determine success rates definitively tho markers of sober time are certainly legit. But how someone is working a program (of any recovery manner, IMO) is much more indicative of success.

In both personal and professional life I am engaged in recovery work. People do drift in and out - some just stay out and I might never know what happens. Those I've gotten to know a little, I prob reach out occasionally with a how are you. In the restaurant industry group, I keep leading the meetings and doing social media work and sending out a weekly email with everyone ever participating bcc'ed. Some do reconnect.

One thing that always clicks with me is when meetings close with that extra part about "for those still suffering and the children who don't have a choice."