Thread: Why not?!
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Nez said:
"I was expecting people to be what I wanted them to be, which is sheer folly because they can only be what they are."

Yep. Once I figured this out, and let people be who they are, I was able to start taking better care of myself. What I mean by that is: I stopped expending time and energy on trying to manipulate people and situations to suit me. I stopped fooling myself into thinking I could have meaningful relationships with certain people - They aren't changing, and they don't fit into my new life. It's a tough pill to swallow at first. Especially with family.

Sohard - it sounds like your sister is really struggling with her husband. If I were in your shoes, I'd let her know gently that she could talk to me about anything - explain that you have a feeling if it were completely her decision your dog wouldn't be an issue. Don't push it, just give her an opening if she wants to talk. I understand how frustrating it is for you to not be able to have your dog with you when you visit. I guess I'd compromise by staying home sometimes, and figuring out a hotel for yourself or a boarding situation for the dog when you do go. I don't think it's worth it to completely ruin your relationship with your sister and mom, because of your brother in-law's control issues.