View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 07:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Redmayne
Redmayne

Thanks for reconnecting me..

I'd like to thank all who've contributed to this post for reconnecting me..

You see on the 8th of Sept., 2016, eight years sober and a week before my 70th birthday I underwent an emergency life saving operation followed b y a further five weeks in a m edically induced coma because of concerns over a line of sepsis. None of which, even by the surgeon and his team, I was expected to survive, and that, without wishing to sound to melodramatic , was the easy bit.

As a neurosurgeon explained to me, recovery for anyone spending a prolonged, and trust me five weeks in medical terms, is a long time. In an induced coma is a bit like turning a tv on in which the fuse has already blown and expecting it to work again. Not going to happen, ok!

The good news is that you do eventually get better but no one can predict the length olf time that will take or the quality of its effect on the person. There might be parts of you that either don't work again or do so in a reduced manner...

Three years on and I can now walk unsupported, although not every day as it exhausts me, a half a mile and mentally, at a basic level reasonably well allowing for the fact that I tend to let others be the judge of that.

All of which is helped by sharing the experience, strength and hope of others in the face of suffering and adversity and their recovery from the same,

'Ignis, aurum, probat,' - fire tests gold - suffering tests brave men and women..

So thank you for reconnecting me, I think I have been in danger of forgetting where I came from and that is very dangerous for those who suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism.