View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Shealy

I was a 17 year old heroin user living under my parents roof. I’m in my 30s now and haven’t used heroin for fourteen years. My advice may not be an option for you, but it was necessary for my recovery and for a lot of the successful recoveries of friends of mine. I had to move away. I was lucky that my mom’s sister on the other side of the country was willing to take me in if I promised to give my everything to creating a new life for myself, and I did. Without the temptation of my old haunts and acquaintances, I was able to create a life that didn’t include drugs. Started community college, worked my way up to university, and made new friends that I didn’t need to talk about my previous drug use with if I didn’t want to.

I’m on these forums because in my twenties I began abusing alcohol, which I’m working on overcoming (with pretty good success) but I’ve never gone back to the H.

Good of luck with your daughter. It’s a terrible burden, drug addiction. I am grateful that my parents chose not to enable my addiction and that we had be resources to send me away so I didn’t have easy access to drugs while I was in early recover.

Best wishes.