View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberCAH

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
I tried to keep my "friends" while getting sober. You know where it got me......drunk. I had to let go of people, places and situations that were toxic to me. I could not stay sober any other way. Even when I thought I could help, someone with a lot more sober days that I had told me "The hand you hold out to help a person drowning in alcohol, might just be the hand that pulls you back down." Not one of us can get better without actually wanting to quit.

I know it is hard to let go, I am sure your friend is trying to hold on to her partying friend by sabotaging your sobriety. She might not be consciously doing it, but it sure sounds like she wants the old you. It is scary to see our old drinking friends get better, it makes us take a look at ourselves, the only way to feel better is to quit, or drag you back down. What you describe is a toxic relationship, not safe for you, especially early in sobriety. A year is fantastic, but it is still early. If you don't watch out for yourself, no one else will. The vacation has red flags all over it and I am sure you know that or you would not be questioning it.

Hugs, Cathy
Couldn't agree more.

There's no way I would go on a vacation with this gal, have her over for dinner or otherwise seek her company or pleasures.

I had to give up "friends" like this when I got out of the treatment center.

I don't regret doing so, because I got, and have stayed, sober.

When I got sober, my interests became 180 degrees the opposite of what they used to be (sitting on barstools, watching sports incessantly, going to strip joints, etc.).

But those of my drinking buddies remained the same.

So we didn't have the mutuality of interests we previously had.

I would steer clear of this gal and refrain from going on that vacation.

No point in resetting your sobriety date.