View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
HeadEast

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Thank you least and headeast, i feel less alone now, did taking the medication help with staying sober ?
Sorry for the late response. I just saw your question.

Yes it does help you stay sober, but often in small ways you probably won't realize. Alcohol can affect how well psych meds work. If the meds aren't working as well as they are designed, there is a tendency to try to self medicate to try to feel better. Alcohol is easy to try to self medicate with, so you drink alcohol and it affects the meds and all of a sudden you are caught in this vicious little circle that makes it harder to stay stopped.

I'm 61 years old and have dealt with mental health issues all my life. My advice to you would be to be really involved in your health care. Question everything. If a med isn't working, see your doctor. If you don't like your doctor, see another. Do other things to help in addition to medication. Exercise. Yoga. Meditation. Psychotherapy. Start a journal. Look for additional ideas on the internet. Mental health issues are awful, but you are not alone. I wish you the best.