Old 12-13-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

As I read through the thread I had similar thoughts to Daytrader. What about untreated alcoholism? The thing about alcoholism is that it is not treated merely by stopping drinking, if you have the power to do that. In fact stopping drinking tends to bring it out.

When I got sober PAWS had not been invented and even today I have never heard it discussed anywhere in AA until last wednesday when it was raised by a person sober 6 days. But I did hit a bad patch at about 22 years which lasted for quite a while. I became angry and depressed, and had periods of moderate anxiety, or in AA speak, I was resentful, fearful and self pitying. I had not been active in AA for a while, and coincidentally the problem vanished when I did become active in working with others.

Working with others in a modest way has got me through some pretty tough spots on my journey without thought of a drink. I am in the midst of one of those spots at the moment, it would make a really good excuse to drink, but the thought has not come. Instead God has dropped a couple of newbies into my lap for me to work with, and I thank Him from the bottom of my heart for that because I know from experience that I will stay safe and protected through my troubles as long as I try to do what I believe he wants me to do.