Old 12-12-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

Reading this thread, an episode of Kitchen Nightmares popped into mind. It's one of my favourites where Ramsay is dealing with a pizza place owner in complete denial. In one of their many fairly rough exchanges, the owner blurted out something along the lines of "I want to franchise this place and go global," to which chef replied "if you can't get one right, how on Earth do you think about two?".

I am not trying to be hurtful, but that reply by the chef is what it all ultimately comes down to. There's little point in drawing up grandiose plans for one's sobriety in the early days. Especially if the thought of 'forever' is still fairly difficult to stomach. Furthermore, sobriety itself will show you a way, as you discover and explore what you really like and want. There are ideas and then there's reality. The two often have a tendency of being mismatch. Man makes plans and God laughs and what not.

In terms of goals and terms ...for example, my sobriety goals have the longest term the moment I wake up - because that's when there's the greatest amount of time between me going to bed again

I can't not drink tomorrow today, and neither can you.

Reading around SR, at times I see people who are very elated in the early days but unfortunately take it too far and drink again. Something about sobriety leaves them dissatisfied, I'm guessing. Perhaps it's precisely the presence of such plans that undermine what a person in early recovery is (or ought to be) focused on - staying sober this minute, hour or day.

Sobriety gives us an 'everything and nothing', because it only really gives us a chance - to do something other than drink alcohol and to be something other than a drunk. Whether we seize this chance and opportunity is up to all of us. Some do, some don't. The standards set for what sobriety Ought to bring someone are certainly peculiar at times, and they are certainly way higher than what anyone ever expects from booze.

I guess what I'm saying is ... just keep being sober today. And when tomorrow becomes today, also be sober today. And so on. Bigger plans will reveal themselves to you when you achieve that mindset and keep going with that simple course of action.

Good luck