Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You don't have to remember why you quit. You only have to remember you don't drink anymore. Period.
Yep. I only "remember" drinking stuff when something like a memory or a bad dream pops up. But I put it aside quickly.

I've never really "clicked" with the methods of writing down cons or such. It seems like "negative reinforcement" to me- I prefer the learned habit of "I get to [ ]" v any version of "can't" or what happened when I drank. It's just much more positive, and reflective of the now as Carl said.

Also, nothing good happened in the end so (paging least!) being grateful for even the most banal things in my life keeps me in that now and the freedom and hope of my present life.

A quick out loud list of 5 things I am grateful for helps me when agitated in traffic, in some kinda mood at home, irrationally irritated by something stupid...or just having a good morning and needing an extra plus!

Oh! (and this in an after thought and edit) I should remember to turn to others who still struggle with consequences and the madness of their ongoing drinking. If I can help in some way, that's plenty to remind me of why I don't and won't drink again.