Old 12-03-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sooz438

Finally getting sober - and feeling so miserable

Hello all,
ive been struggling with my drinking for a good 3-4 years, and of course the inevitable it’s progressively gotten worse. I’ve had anxiety - both social & generalized anxiety nearly my entire life. I started suffering from debilitating panic attacks about 2 years ago and I know it was exacerbated by my drinking habits. I was drinking all day every day at one point. I also became so depressed I barely moved. My most recent has lasted for about 2 months of extreme heavy drinking just to numb myself. Well I’ve finally had enough, I’m in therapy & I’m finally seeking help. The thing that is holding me down the most is that In that time span I’ve put on so much weight from a combination of drinking, eating horribly, & not exercising at all due to my depression & always feeling like crap. I feel soooo depressed & insecure because of it. I don’t even feel comfortable in my own body. It wasn’t really apparent to me how much weight I had put on because I was drunk. I started a new job 2 weeks ago & I am now dealing with brain fog & it’s so hard for me to Take in new information that makes me feel even more insecure because I feel like I’m brain dead. Now that I’m not drinking, it’s all I can see & feel. I hate looking at myself in the mirror I feel like a different person. I’m so thankful that I’m finally cleaning myself up but the insecurity & sadness I feel is overwhelming at times. I know it will take time & effort for me to get back to my normal self. I guess I just wanted to see who else is or has gone through this, and what you did to help yourself feel better. Also how long it took for you to feel normal in your own body again.