View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
trailmix

hi righttheship. I went back and looked at a few of your older posts, but they are all after he had left the house.

Not sure how long you were married but yes, you married an alcoholic, what did you know about alcoholism back them? Anything?

Alcoholism is progressive, so there is that as well.

All I'm saying is that things probably didn't start out the way they ended up and you didn't know what you didn't know about alcoholism at the time.

I married someone that hit me. Go figure! I should not have done that, of course and my child is certainly not better off for having lived in such a volatile household (the violence did stop but it's a bit like someone being a dry drunk, the anger is still always lurking).

I married very young, the consequences of what I was doing weren't really clear (seems obvious, I know, but it wasn't out of my comfort zone).

Do I blame myself? Not for a minute. I did what I did with the knowledge and life experience I had at the time. I am sorry my Son had to witness the dysfunction but, there is not one thing I can do about that now.

I never thought about the marriage much until several years later, when I got tired of arguing all the time. I left when I was ready, not before. Isn't that really all you can do?