View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I went through the same thing. It was like all of the anger I had bottled up was released all at once. While I was drinking I was really only angry at myself, and tended to stuff down any anger I felt toward anyone else. It was kind of like I didn't feel like I had a right to be angry at anyone or anything but myself, because I felt like I was making a mess of my life and everything bad that happened was my fault somehow.

When I started sobering up and looking at the wreckage, I was able to start feeling angry at others, and it all seemed to hit at once. I was walking around p*ssed off at the world for a little while. I think part of that was just natural brain activity as the connectors in my brain started to heal, and part of it was being able to see that other people in my life were, in fact, responsible for some of the crap that happened. I had been entirely a doormat for a long time, and it was time for that to end and to set some boundaries. It was also time to identify and let go of resentments that had been festering and bubbling below the surface for a long long time. I knew that was a really important part of being able to live a calm and peaceful life.

So I worked the steps, and after I did Steps 4 and 5, it really did get better. Gottalife supplied the pertinent passages from the Big Book. And here's the thing. You do not have to be an AA'er to do these steps. I think it's useful to everyone to do something like it every so often. It's a great way to write down and examine your resentments, talk about them to someone, and begin to let them go.