View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newhope01

Dealing with Anger and Resentments

I’ve become so bitter and hateful since I’ve gotten sober. It’s a trait that I’m too happy about. I seem to lack the ability to forgive. Where I was once understanding and nonjudgmental, I am now angry and rigid.

in the spirit of the holidays I am trying to return to the kinder person I use to be. The kind of person who could see past flaws and see someone’s potential. The kind of person who would see someone hurting and pick a flower for them telling them to “cheer up, buttercup.”

I don’t want to be this person who dwells on the negative. Who no longer stops to notice the person who is hurting or to smell the flowers. I don’t want my daughter to be that kind of person.

How do you folks move past your resentments and bitterness? Surely I can’t be the only person who after becoming sober harbors these ill feelings?

I use to tell my clients who were wishing the demise of others that, “hating someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die” and that the other person is probably not even thinking about them. But here I am, unable to follow my own advice. I don’t want this. I want my old former self before the kindness was beaten out of me. I don’t like how hard my heart has become.

Hopefully writing this out for feedback is a start? Idk.